09 January 2013

Basic Vinaigrette

 Basic Vinaigrette


 I read somewhere that salad dressing was the most "marked up" grocery item.  Meaning the cost of making it is pennies compared to what you pay.

I don't buy salad dressing anymore.  It is SO much better to make it.  

It tastes better and you can control the ingredients   And that is why it is super important to make your own when doing Take Shape for Life.  When trying to loose weight sometimes all the little extra stuff can sabotage us.  You might choose a healthy salad then pour blue cheese dressing on it.  And tad-ta... you no longer have a salad that will support your weight loss.  

Now a little lesson on making vinaigrette.  Most recipes call for a 3:1 ratio.  3 parts oil to 1 part acid.   That is way too much oil if you ask me.  And if you are doing TSFL with me you need to put flavor WAY ahead of oil. 

This recipe is a 1:1 ratio.  It is much more flavorful and therefore you use far less.

This is all you need.  
(And a jar to shake it in.)


Oil
Mustard
Lemon
Garlic


Squeeze the lemon & put the juice in a jar.  
Pour the oil in slowly until you have about equal parts of both.
The mustard and garlic are to taste.  You'll get the hang of it.  I use 2-3 cloves / lemon and a LARGE squirt of mustard.


Shake.

Store.

You should know that olive oil will solidify in the refrigerator   So after a while your vinaigrette will look like this: 


No worries!  Just either leave it out a bit before you use it.. or I spoon out how much I need into my salad tossing bowl and put the rest back in the refrigerator to store.

I suggest you make a decent amount of this to have on hand.  And personalize it!  Add herbs..grind in some pepper...whatever.. just NO ADDED SUGAR....have fun!

A small amount will make a pile of lettuce go from boring to amazing!



Enjoy!

Read my Getting Healthy story.
If you are interested in learning more about getting and staying healthy please contact me!

Jennifer Z. Lewis
 Certified Health Coach
Web site: teamlewis.tsfl.com


No comments:

Post a Comment