18 August 2011

A Better Pizza

So we all love pizza right? But let's face it, most pizza isn't exactly the poster dinner for good nutrition. Here is my version of making a slightly better version of the run of the mill pizza. To start I take ONE pizza dough recipe and divide it into TWO. I roll them out thin enough for 2 full size pizzas. They are thin crust. Not cracker thin but thin enough to taste the yummy toppings. See? TWO pizzas out of ONE dough recipe.

 A little sauce. Whenever I make spaghetti sauce I double it and save the rest so I always have some really good sauce on hand for pizzas.
Lots of veggies. This one I used zucchini, peppers, onions, tomato (seeds removed), fresh basil & thyme. I always finish w/ pepper and salt. I used a large flake Maldon salt which makes it super good. Oh and cheese. Not too much. Several kinds if you have it.
This is the kids version. Plain cheese. 3 kind of cheese. Don't skip the salt & pepper on the "plain" one!
Yummy.
Really yummy.
Trust me.
PIZZA DOUGH
1 c warm water (110 or so)
2 1/2 t quick yeast
1 t sugar
let this sit in a bowl for 10minutes. It should be sort of foamy at this point. The yeast doing it's job & all.
Add
1 T olive oil
1 t salt
2 1/2 cups flour. I use whole wheat pastry flour. You can use whatever. I've used corn & oat flour too. This time I used 2 c whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2 cup corn flour.
Stir until combined with wooden spoon. Let rest for about 10 minutes.
Top w/ sauce, cheese, meat, veggies, whatever. Salt & Pepper.
Bake in 450 oven for about 13minutes each pizza.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment